Thursday, April 23, 2009

Applique Potluck

It's been a couple of of days since I've had time to post - mainly because this is what I've been working on. These blocks for my "Family Reunion" applique club.
This is what my worktable looked like on Tuesday. Tracing, cutting and preparing the blocks for applique. I also traced an embroidery block to add for April class next Tuesday.

These are some of the "food" blocks that go in the quilt. Whats a family reunion without all of the traditional picnic foods?

Did you ever think you might applique fried chicken? You never know what kinds of things you will applique when you're in my club!


How about a good old slice of plaid watermelon?

Here's the embroidery block. I call it - "It's all relative". Get it?



Now that the blocks for all of my applique clubs for April are complete, my goal is to bind this quilt that I finished last summer.
I'm more than a bit behind on my quilting projects that are just for me and not for publication.
It seems I always have a deadline and projects like this get put on the back burner.
I'll show you the whole quilt (it's a big one) as soon as I get it bound.
post signature

18 comments:

Nedra said...

I love the fried chicken. You always come up with the cutest ideas. I can tell another hit is on the way.

Browndirtcottage said...

Ok..Ok...yeah for drumsticks!!!! Can't wait for the reveal of these 2 projects!!!

little acorns said...

I know what you mean about time to do quilts for just you. I actually got two completed last year & I'm determined to do a couple this year. . . (or at least get them started!). I can't wait to see your Family Reunion quilt. . . love the peeks! (& I personally would love to be in your 'club'!)
xo, Bren

Funoldhag said...

How cute, Lori - love to have a piece of plaid watermelon! And the quilt you have had on the back burner is wonderful - do I see red ricrac under the binding? Sweet touch to a very pretty quilt.

Insightful Nana said...

You are one clever lady. I love the relative block. Yep... fried chicken is the way to go. My mom's from the South... so I figure we get the "Real Thing."

Dionne said...

Adorable! I LOVE your patterns! I am learning to applique specifically so that I can work on your patterns!
Cheers,
Dionne

Michelle said...

No, I never thought I'd applique drumsticks, but after reading this, I suddenly want to!

Betsy said...

your food applique is too cute.
I like the quilt you made for yourself. Your color selection is beautiful.

Linda said...

Your chicken looks so tasty...it ALMOST makes we want to ap-ap-applique... someday - keep working on me! :)

Kim Walus said...

I've always enjoyed your fabric usage. It's always so fun and creative and makes me hungry at the same time.

I love the quilt your binding and look forward to seeing the whole thing.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your picked PERFECT fabric for your potluck! Love it!

Nanette Merrill said...

The drumstick shape is super cute. Fred Flintstoneish. I love it. Do you applique the letters or do you "wonderunder"ish them? I can't even think of the right term this moment. It has been a busy day at work. And I'm ready to do something else!! :-)
This is darling though.

Carrie P. said...

Those blocks are so great. Just love the chicken. And the border fabric on the quilts is so pretty.

Sherry said...

Those appliqued blocks are super cute, also love the "It's all relative" block. Can't wait to see your whole quilt after you finish the binding. It looks gorgeous. Have a great week-end!

Susan said...

You got me with the plaid watermelon slice--I love plaids. And the chicken legs are so cute.
I am really liking applique so...I'm thinking :-)

flora said...

Love love your blog! Great fun to check in and see your mind work. Thanks so much.

Karen said...

Love the fried chicken! It makes my mouth water. :)

Mary Anne Drury said...

VERY VERY CUTE !!! The drumsticks are PERFECT!! Will there be any uninvited guests at this picnic ....(I mean ants, not relatives!!!)

...AND I have to tell you how much I LOVE your playlist .... we're kindred spirits in our music choices ... we have alot of the same tunes playin' on our blogs ... and I also have to tell you I haven't heard "The Birds and The Bees" since I was about 7 or 8 years old ... what fun to hear it again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails