Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yeah! New Books!


I recently picked up a couple of really fun books that I wanted to show you. Yeah! New books:)
I'm such a book person- I have way too many books to fit on my bookcases but I just enjoy them so much!
I love the library and I love bookstores. You know how we quilters like the smell of new fabric? Well, I like the smell of new books even more!
My love affair with books began when I was a girl and still continues on today...

Because I grew up in such a small town, we didn't have a library - but we had a Book-Mobile!
For those of you who don't know what a bookmobile was, it was an old bus that the county library loaded up with books and would come to visit rural areas. The back and both sides of the bus were lined with shelves of books. Checkout was up front. We could check out books just like at the library and could request books that we wanted for the next visit.
Do you remember the cards in the small manilla envelopes inside the back of the book? The librarian would write my name on the card and next to it, stamp the due date. I liked reading the names of those who had also read the book to see if I knew them.

The Book-Mobile would come every other Thursday and would park on the side of the road in the middle of town which was next to the church. It would come about 10:30 in the morning and stay for a couple of hours. I usually was the first one there waiting for it to pull up.

The librarian was a sweet older lady named Jean and we were definitly on a first name basis! We would chat for a bit and then I would usually check out as many books as I could carry and hurry home to read them. My goal of course was to have them all read before the next visit.

I used to like to climb a great big tree way out in the back pasture and read-read-read.That tree was my place to "get away" as I come from a large family.

I still have the same feeling of anticipation when I open a new book.




The first book I want to tell you about is this one. It's of course all about vintage kitchen linens. The photography and writing are excellent and full of great information. The book is by EllynAnne Giesel who also wrote "The Apron Book" which of course I also have and love as well.



Look how cute it is without the jacket - adorable:) I always love it when the book cover is different than the jacket, it has so much more personality that way! If you want to get this book, check out her website here.



The next fabulous new book is by a few kindred farm girls, Teri Edwards and Serena Thompson aka "The Farm Chicks". It is filled to the brim with all kinds of yummy down home recipes and a few fun kitchen projects that we all like to make now and again. They also talk about thier wonderful memories of growing up on a farm which I can totally relate to.
Here is the inside front cover - just to give you a tantalizing peek. The book is so well done and has alot of eye candy along with lots of good old country this and that. I'm just sayin, you really want this book so check out thier website here.

post signature

11 comments:

Betsy said...

Lori they both look very interesting.

Judy said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves these books...I'm forever picking them up and reading them. I remember the Book-Mobile coming through my neighborhood. I loved the smell of it...the smell of books.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love books too. And when you combine books with fabric/quilts - wow. That is a trip!

Sherri said...

I love books too...and I've been thinking about the Farm Chick's one...just wondering! So I think I'll be ordering it soon!

dream quilt create said...

Those books look really good. I will look into purchasing them....I remember the book mobile and the manilla envelopes with the cards where the librarian wrote your name. Those are great memories. I am feeling very nostalgic right now.

Carrie P. said...

I used to love the book mobile when it came around. I could walk to our public library when I was a child but there was just something about the book mobile coming around.
I have seen that book at Borders. It is cute. I might have to get it. EllynAnne came to our quilt guild to speak about aprons. She is so much fun.

EllynAnne said...

Thank you so much for loving and sharing my beautiful new book with all who visit your charming blog! And please, stop by my website apronmemories.com and enter the Fabulous not-a-contest Giveaway! When you see the six prize packages... !!!
xxea
Tie One On...an apron, of course!

Jocelyn said...

I just bought the Kitchen Linen book too. I love old linens and I have a few that were my Mom's. We also have a lot of books. We homeschooled our children, and we just kept accumulating books for them to read. My dh has commissioned me to downsize the books, but it is SO hard! A book is like an old friend.

Jocelyn

http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

They look like wonderful books. I also love books and the smell of them. Great story about the book mobile. That's new to me.

Nielson said...

Those book sure are tempting! I'll have to check them out soon. And I remember the book mobile too--we had one in Saratoga Springs--it still comes every Thursday :)

Browndirtcottage said...

Love books too.....looks like you
have some really good ones there!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails