Monday, January 23, 2012

Still Painting...


Yes...I am still painting but I'm making progress!
I thought I would show you the lid of my paint can so that all those who have emailed me asking for the color can see that it is Balmy Seas by Behr. The color is perfect and I am so thrilled with it!
It took me awhile to choose the perfect aqua....but for me...this is it!
I wanted to find one that matches the aqua pantone that I chose to use in my fabric lines perfectly so that I will be able to decorate to my hearts content when all of the painting and flooring is complete.


The kitchen and the hallway walls are completely painted but we haven't got to the floor yet because we stopped to do the guest bathroom at the end of the hall....I'll show you the bathroom in my next post.


Of course I have not had time to arrange my vintage finds on top of my cupboards....
that will come later.
They are all still in boxes stacked in my front room...it looks like an episode of Hoarders in there...I'm not kidding!


I will show you how they turned out 
when I am able to 
get some time to do it!


I have put all of the handles and knobs back onto the kitchen cabinets 
so that we can at least use them now...I'm anxious to get back to cooking:)

I didn't buy new handles because I still love 
the spoon and fork handles that I have had 
for 9-10 years....they add so much to my vintage farmhouse kitchen style... 
don't you think?



I still love the knobs that I have had for a long time too...they are cherries!
Sorry for the fuzzy picture...


Here's a close up of the knob.
I can't remember what brand they are...
 I ordered them through an online hardware company that I can't remember the 
name of either:)


I already showed you that I painted my little baking cupboard yellow.
For right now I keep my iPad and docking station there so that I can listen to iTunes or my blog playlist or several good books that I have downloaded from Audible.
Those are the things that I listen to....to keep me going while I am painting other pieces of my well loved furniture.


Like this little chair that I painted aqua... 
last redo I painted it a jadeite green color.
(all of my favorite furniture pieces have been several different colors...I like to redecorate alot!)
I bought this chair at a garage sale long ago. I remember that I paid 4 dollars for it. A cute grandpa who was a carpenter by trade had built it. He said he didn't need it anymore and so decided to get rid of it. 
I love it! It's a very well built, 
sturdy and cute little chair.
My children used it when they were small and Sophie uses it now.
I use it too!
I keep it in my kitchen (because I am short) to use as a stool so that I can reach into the top shelf of my kitchen cupboards when 
Mr. Honey or my giant fourteen year old son Sterling isn't around!
(Sterling is now 6'1)


I have always brushed the paint on my furniture when I am repainting but for the rocking chair in my kitchen I will be using spray paint to repaint  it...it's just too hard to get a brush in all of the nooks and crannies:)


It's red now but I will be painting it 
 my favorite Apple Green to 
freshen things up a bit!


I painted a new coat of white on this vintage shelf that went on the end of a cupboard in a 1930's kitchen a long time ago.
 I found it in a thrift shop about 15 years ago and it's been on the end of 
my cupboard ever since! 
I keep a colorful collection of 
pitchers and creamers on it:)

You can see the old black and white floor that we are tearing out and replacing in the background....hopefully in a few weeks it will be wood flooring instead!



But in the meantime I am using the kitchen as my furniture painting station before we replace the floor.

 I painted this old pie safe green...
a shade darker than the apple green I will 
use for the rocking chair. 
Mr.Honey bought this for me as a birthday gift a few years after we were married...
I still love it!


It has punched tin doors...


And I replaced the metal knobs with glass knobs for a little bit of bling!
I like how the metal and glass look together....don't you?


I love the way that the green 
looks against the 
new aqua walls...
all finished and ready to be filled 
with vintage linens:)


I put a fresh coat of white on my 
kitchen table and chairs.
 I love white table and chairs.
I think white is like a sparkling clean  canvas for all pops of color in tablecloths, quilts, place mats and chair cushions that I put on them:)


My farmhouse table has a really 
deep drawer in the side...
 and that's where I keep my place mats.


I replaced the knob with a glass knob too. They are part of the Martha Stewart 
collection for Home Depot.


A cold winter day outside while I am inside warm and cozy with paint and brush and music and words...


and the cold day turns into a cold winters night!

Can you see the church pew in the window?...
we use it for extra seating at the table.
It's now aqua!....the same as aqua as 
the little chair...
just one shade darker than the walls.

The church pew was the first antique that
 Mr. Honey and I bought shortly after we were married ...and 30 years later we are 
still collecting:)


We put a new light fixture over the table...and the very first thing I will be sewing for my new kitchen will be new curtains for the bay window:)


I have decided to use my Sew Cherry fabric 
for the curtains.
I'll use the white floral for the bottom cafe curtains and the red gingham for the valance.
I'm lining the back of the curtains with the little red daisy fabric.
I thought I might add the yellow somewhere but I think instead I will probably add 
yellow and also red ric-rac
on the bottom of the cafe curtains 
for the trim. I want them very simple and vintage looking.
It may sound a little crazy to you that I am making all of my "new" decor look "old"...but hey...that's just how I roll:)
Like I said...I am making good progress and have alot done but I still have alot to do...like the front room.
I'll talk about that more when I get to it.
Until then...have a quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori


40 comments:

dream quilt create said...

I love all the colors you chose, they are so cheery and look good enough to eat :) I also like the little peeks of sew cherry here and there!

EllenaElizabeth said...

OH I
L O V E I T A L L!
Now my place is looking tired in my eyes and it all needs a face lift....
Thanks for posting.

ayumills said...

wow wow wow Lori, everything you touch turn into such beautiful things! I am so loving every color of your paint and the spoon and fork handles are absolutely adorable!

Carol said...

Lori, Its so darling! Just what I would have picked. Can't wait to see the rest, and you can get back to your great quilty posts.

Joan said...

Love your choice of colours! I scrolled through the pictures twice and I'll be back for another look. Your table topper is so pretty.

Julie said...

You certainly have an "eye" for color! It all looks fabulous -- keep us posted of your progress. I, too, love a white kitchen - I bet everyone who visits you LOVES to come into your kitchen!

My Vintage Mending said...

Absolutely stunning. I want to pin it all. Amazing colors and gorgeous pieces. I cannot wait to see your fabric in it. Smiles...Renee

Katy said...

As always...I love your style! You have the look I want in my home, but little by little I'm getting there. Great job!

Nedra said...

You have been painting up a storm! Look out Sterling and Kass, you might be next! (just kidding)
Love it all Lori. You have such an eye for color and make everything look perfect. Of course you need Sew Cherry in every spot possible. Love that line.

Sherry said...

Everything looks so wonderful! Who wouldn't love to spend some time in your cheery, colorful kitchen?! Although I love all of your pieces of furniture, I'm lovin that little chair. I have a thing for kids wooden chairs. Love them! The painting on everything looks great. Can't wait to see it all come together when you & Mr. Honey are finished.

Sharon said...

I just love the colors!!!!!!! Everything looks so fresh and clean.

Pattie Crum said...

I just painted my kitchen aqua too. I love how the color totally makes the room feel happy. Your green pie safe it adorable and the paint job on your white chairs and table looks perfect, good job.

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow I love your kitchen!! What great colors. Everything looks so welcoming. Put the kettle on :-)

audrey said...

I love your kitchen, the colors are so bright and happy! When I was looking for the perfect for aqua for my dining room I had to go a little lighter since the room has very little natural light, I chose Iconic Sky by Behr and it's a perfect aqua for that situation.

Can't wait to see it all together!

Kerri said...

Your painting looks so cute!! I am in awe!

Kris said...

What a beautiful shade of aqua!! I have spent my weekend painting too!!!

Sandy said...

Love, love the colors. So fresh. Curtains will be adorable.

Annelies said...

I love painted furniture too...and I have a little secret to share. Whenever I paint something, I write a note on the back of the piece. I have one piece that has gone from baby nursery, guest room and now in my sewing room. The notes on the back touch my heart...like the one my Mom wrote with me because she helped me paint the piece. I figure it is a bit of our "history" that is kept secret until you move the piece and discover it. Just a bit of whimsy...and I know you are ALL about whimsy!!! Love your blog. XXX

Sandy said...

Your painting is flawless! What is your secret??? And what white do you use? Love all the colors!

Ruby Jean said...

Oh My Goodness!!! SO SO SO Adorable... Can I come over and have coffee with your Kitchen... LOL!!! Love IT!!!!

HJ Labores said...

Que maravilla de colores y muebles, todo está quedandote precioso y ahora a disfrutarlos.
Abrazos

PamKittyMorning said...

You're killing me! Seriously cute. Wish I had the energy this must take! And the attention span. Its wrong by I'm filled with envy.

Lesley said...

I adore your wonderful color scheme! You certainly know what colors work together, and the pictures were so enjoyable to look at...thanks so much for sharing your re-do!

Lois' Laughlines said...

I am new to your blog..... I just love all your cute painted furniture and the wall color...GorGEOus!! Such fun mixture of colors. Love it. Blessings.

life in red shoes said...

Absolute perfection :)

Susie said...

It looks amazing, can't wait to see the finished product with the curtains and floors. Can you at least open the window to let the paint smell out or is it just too cold? (have had airconditioning on from morn til night here in Australia!).

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen! The painted furniture looks amazing! I don't think I would ever leave if it were my kitchen.

Ursula

Jana said...

Love it all! I am thinking about painting my table and chairs white also. What paint do you use? It all looks perfect. Jana

Jana said...

Love it all!! Would you mind sharing some info about the white you used on your table and chairs, because I would love to paint mine too! Have fun in the process. Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Jana

Jana said...

I love it all! Would you mind sharing some info about the white paint you used on the table and chairs? I really want to paint my white too. Can't wait to see it all finished. Your Sew Cherry fabrics are perfect for your room. Jana

Helen L said...

SOOOO love what you are doing!!! I'd feel so comfortable in your kitchen :-) And the spoon and fork handles and the cherry knobs are wonderful!! Can't wait to see what else you have been up to!!

Pam said...

How cute! Can't wait to see all the finishing touches you add to this room. Can I move in? lol!

busyascanbe said...

I love it! You are alway so brave with color! I wish I had your vision for painting furniture I am such a chicken....LOL

Nanette Merrill said...

It is all looking so fresh and pretty. I'm happy for you. It is coming together nicely. Lots of work is paying off.

Michaela Stephens said...

Dang, I wish I could do that to my kitchen!

happy zombie said...

Everything is so beautiful I could weep. Nope, the water-works sprinklers just came on. OHMYGOSH, I love everything you did, your colors (I love that apple green!!), your cupboard jewelry… E V E R Y T H I N G!

BTW, my go-to Behr aqua is 490A Cool Jazz. I've always thought it was a tad too light - I'm thinking I'm going to copy you and next time get your 490C Balmy Seas. Is there anything you do that isn't phenomenal, brilliant and super delicio-fantastico? Dah, of course I know the answer - and the answer is no!

Anne's House said...

Your home is so sooooo charming! Absolutely lovely and cozy as can be! I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of it! Great photos! Hugs!

Sheila said...

I love this post! Go to look at it often. And I have been looking for a table and set of chairs at the thrift shops to paint. I finally found them today at Good Will. They are stained. I want to paint them white. If you don't mind me asking, what type paint did you use on your table and chairs? Enamel? A primer?

Lis Green said...

Lori, I love your taste in colors and about everything. We are practically neighbors. I'm in Sandy. I love apple green and red for a kitchen with yellow and I love your aqua colors too. And your curtains are cute. I'm gushing with compliments and would love to see more of the whole picture in your kitchen!!

Anonymous said...

I just came across this on Pinterest & love it all. I'd love to know what color yellow you used on the cabinet? Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails