Monday, September 4, 2017

Bee Happy Sew Along - Week Two!!


Welcome to week two of the 
Bee Happy Sew Along



I have loved seeing a lot of photos in various stages of progress on my

Thanks so much for using the hashtag 
#BeeHappySewAlong

If you are just joining us...
Look on the right sidebar of my blog here until
 you see the posts about this sew along so far.
Just click on each one in order
 to get the free pattern and to 
find out about a kit and the supplies needed.


The first block tutorial for today are the
 Butterfly and the Butterflies Block:)



You will need D-13 Sew Simple Shape. 
Here are the fabrics that you have already cut for the blocks.

Run the four 3/4" strips that I had you cut
 from solids through the 3/8" bias tape maker
 just like I showed you in the video last week.




After sewing and trimming...
clip the 4 cleavage areas on each butterfly once...
all the way to the stitching line but not through it:)



Turn...shape and press the butterflies.
Press under the ends of the 
butterfly bodies so that they 
each measure about 2 1/2" long.



Pin and glue baste into place...
and trace the embroidery lines for the antennae found 
on page 9 of the sew along guide.

The bottom of the 3 butterfly bodies should measure 
about 3/4" up from the bottom edge of the fabric...
and about 1" up from the bottom edge 
of the single butterfly block.





After appliqué and embroidery is complete...
Trim the single Butterfly Block down to 4 1/2" square.


You don't need to trim down this 
Butterflies Block
 because it has been cut to unfinished size per the instructions in the guide.
It should already measure 4 1/2" x 10 1/2" at this point:)


***NOTE***
I know I've said this several times before
 but it worth repeating!
Remember that all of the square blocks 
in the quilt are cut a little larger 
to allow for trimming down with square rulers.
This is my favorite way...but,

Because there are not rulers
 in all of the rectangle block sizes...
All of the rectangle blocks in the quilt
 are cut to unfinished size...
ready to sew 
into the quilt after appliqué and will 
NOT need to be trimmed down.
Just be careful and treat them gently 
so as not to fray the edges.

On page 3 of the sew along guide...
(see photo above)
all of the block measurements given are 
FINISHED SIZE
 which means after they are sewn into the quilt....
as always...
each unfinished block measures
 1/2" larger than a finished size 
to allow for 1/4" seam allowance
 on all four sides:)


YaY!
Fun and Done Pile...
here it comes!


Next up...
 the Blue Flowers Block.


You will need 
D-20 - D-23 - D-5 - D-1 
Sew Simple Shapes....
and again the D-13 for the center flower:)
Run the 5/8" wide stem through the 1/4" bias tape maker.

Press your background fabric in half both ways
 for centering when basting the pieces.



Don't forget to clip the cleavage areas on the aqua flower. 
No clipping needed on the other pieces.



Turn...shape and press!



I glue basted my 10" long stem 
right down the center fold of my background fabric
 and pinned the aqua flower in the center... 
and then pinned the navy flowers.
They are about 1 5/8" from the outer edge as in photo above.



The leaves are about 5/8" in 
and the aqua flower is about
 3/4" in from the side edge.




Now pin the center of the navy flowers and the center circle on the aqua flower...
UNLESS..
You are going to embroider 
around the solid fabric edges...


Do that first BEFORE 
you pin them down to appliqué.


Your unfinished block should measure 
4 1/2" x 16 1/2" at this point 
and is ready to sew into the quilt!
But first...
put it in your Fun and Done Pile:)



The last tutorial for today...
Spool Blocks

***NOTE*** 
I used solid fabrics
 for the thread on the spools 
and so I embroidered a running stitch
 around the edges before I appliquéd:)



You will need 
D-21 and D-6 
Sew Simple Shapes 
for these blocks:)



The spools have four cleavage areas 
that will need to be clipped after sewing.



I did not cut an X in the spools ...
just one straight cut for turning.



Turn...shape and press!



Press your background fabrics in half both ways for centering.
Pin the sideways spool in the center and then pin the upright spools 1" in from the top and bottom edges and 1 1/4" in from the sides.



YaY again!
Two more blocks for the Fun and Done Pile.

Each Spool Block should measure 
4 1/2" x 10 1/2" at this point.



We are making progress!

If you haven't 
been able to start yet...
no worries!
Like I have said before...
this is not a race and everything 
will remain on my blog.

It's so important to just enjoy! 
Take the time needed first 
and get all of the cutting completed 
as per the sew along guide.

After that...
it's super easy to 
BUZZ right along with each block.

Tune in next week for more tutorials.
Until then...
BEE HAPPY!
xx
Lori





2 comments:

Farmhouse Quilts said...

Lori, I can't tell you enough how much I am enjoying these blocks! I almost worked ahead because I just didn't want to have to wait until today, but then decided to be good and wait for the tutorials and the details. And thanks so much for including all the measurements in these posts....those are so helpful!

Reb Randal said...

Thank you Lori. I'm doing three quilts at once so I can give one to each of my daughters. I have to say on some of the blocks I used fusible applique instead of the sew in interfacing. I'm one week behind but who cares? I like being the boss of my own quilt. Thank you again for sharing with your fans! RebsFabStash on Etsy. We love Lori Holt fabrics.

Related Posts with Thumbnails